DIY Corbels

I love the look of those old, chippy antique corbels, but I don’t love the price. I’ve been considering ways to add some architectural interests to this builder grade home and came across this DIY from Shanty2chic which I thought was pretty cool.  With a recent investment in a compound mitre saw and brad nailer I felt this would be a pretty easy beginner project to test my new tools.

I purchased this two pack of corbels from Home Depot for $16.

img_1854

As you can see from the packaging the dimensions are only 8 1/2 X 6. I knew I wanted something larger. I had some scrap 1 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch boards and 1 1/2 inch by 1/2 boards left over from another project.

I basically held those up against the corbel to decide on length for the look I wanted and drew a pencil mark where I wanted to make the straight cut.

img_1855

Then I cut the ends that would go out from the base of the corbel at a 30 degree angle with the mitre saw (you can see this piece was already painted from another project).  The measurement for the first two pieces was 7 1/2 inches for the piece across the top and 10 1/2 inches for the piece running down the side.

I made cuts to two more pieces of the scrap wood- this time 10 inches in length for the shorter piece to run across the top of the corbel and 12 3/4 inches for the side piece. I also angled those pieces on one end with a 30 degree cut.

img_1856

I used wood glue to first attach the scrap wood to the corbel and then secured each length with 1 inch brad nails. Love my new brad nailer!!!!

img_1857

Once the entire thing was glued and nailed together, I gave it a light sanding.

img_1858

I didn’t worry about filling in the holes from the brad nailer because I knew I wanted them to look aged anyway.

I wanted to get a sense of size so I held one of the corbels up to a corner

img_1859

I’m sure if you wanted to make them larger you could continue to add more pieces to the side. You may even add a wider board as your final piece.

Next I gave them each a coat of Minwax stain in dark walnut.

img_1861

Yes, that is a well used can of stain.

img_1862

The next step is a little more difficult. At least it was for me. You need to wait for the stain to dry completely. So I placed a fan on them to speed up the process but ended up waiting until the next day to paint. I wanted them to be COMPLETELY dry.

img_1867

The next day I painted each corbel with chalk paint,as always with my faithful companion Tucker by my side.

I used three coats allowing each coat to dry thoroughly.

img_1868

Again, I didn’t care about perfectly even coats because I knew I would be distressing.  I allowed those to dry overnight. I am usually not this patient, trust me.

The next day, I applied the clear wax in this same Folk Art brand you can purchase at any craft store like Michael’s or Joann’s. I took Tucker for a walk to allow the wax to dry.

Next, the fun part!!! I used the same hand sander pictured above and distressed all of the edges. The wax allows the paint to just roll away to get that nice aged look.

img_2465

Of course, I’ll hang them eventually but for now I’m having fun moving them around adding them to vignettes!!

img_1879